Friday, February 20, 2009

I Wish I Didn't Know Now

Music Video/Song

Screenshot from: " I wish i didn't know now music video"

Collected on: 2/20/09

Music Video can be found at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSpxR6mxIok


"Wish I Didn't Know Now" Lyrics:
I've never asked you where you're goin' I've never asked you where you've been I've never called and checked your story When you stayed out with all your friends I've never tried to catch you lyin' I didn't want to know the truth I'd rather go on lovin' blind girl Than go on lovin' without you I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then I wish I could start this whole thing over again I'm not sayin' it's you could never be true I just don't wanna know how it ends You'd still have my heart in the palm of your hands I'd still look like a fool in front of your friends Yeah I wish somehow I didn't know now what I didn't know then I've always said what I don't know Couldn't hurt as bad as leavin' you Turns out I knew what I was thinkin' It ain't an easy thing to do Well I guess I should be goin' I sure found out too much to stay Please don't say your sorry I might wait another day I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then I wish I could start this whole thing over again I'm not sayin' it's you could never be true I just don't wanna know how it ends You'd still have my heart in the palm of your hands I'd still look like a fool in front of your friends Yeah I wish somehow I didn't know now what I didn't know then You'd still have my heart in the palm of your hand I'd still look like a fool in front of your friends Yeah I wish somehow I didn't know now what I didn't know then Yeah I wish somehow I didn't know now what I didn't know then



"I Wish I Didn't Know Now" is a country song by Toby Keith about a man who has a cheating spouse whom he loves dearly. He had his suspicions that she was cheating but didn't want to confirm them, and he just now, against his will, found out for sure.


This song relates to women's studies because it relates to masculinity and femininity. It relates because it describes a man who is being feminine and a woman who acts masculine. By doing this it is challenging gender roles and thus relates to women's studies which also challenge gender roles. In the song Toby describes the relationship and he exhibits many feminine characteristics while his partner is acting very masculine. If he were being masculine he would be angry and violent, but instead he is just whining about being heartbroken and comes across as submissive (feminine traits). She acts macho and is always sleeping around and not calling, being a player (a masculine trait) while he is home waiting for her, being supportive (a feminine trait). She jokes with her friends about how many men she has slept with while with him and makes him look like a fool, but he doesn't care, he is subordinate (feminine trait) to her and just wants to be with her and never actually know the truth because she makes him happy. He thinks he has found true love while she is being a player.

This song relates to Ch.3 in "Women's Voices", the section called "masculinity" and the section called "femininity" pages 131-137 which describe the masculine and feminine characteristics and traits. They are related because the song switches the character traits which these readings describe. The song also relates to "Becoming 100% straight" because that reading gives true stories from men who have felt "feminine feelings" and this song is written from the perspective of a man who feels
"feminine feelings".


This song is related to gender because it talks about gender roles in society, and specifically describes a believable "normal" situation where they are switched. It is "normal" because there is no cross dressing and no difference in sexuality, it is "gender melding" instead of "gender transferring". The only switch is in their actions and attitudes which society has no problem accepting, if it did the song wouldn't have been such a hit.

The popularity of this song and the song itself represent a major leap for women and men. It shows that society is more accepting of people switching gender roles and that means that men and women both are more free to act the way they want and be themselves to without fearing persecution. If this was not the case the song would have ruined Toby Keith's career.

No comments:

Post a Comment